Wednesday 13 April 2016

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 03 - Collaborative Practice - Exhibition Branding

For this brief I must work in collaboration with another 5 designers on my course. We must design everything needed for our up and coming exhibition where we display our bank note prints. The brief notes that me must consider a number of things with our design process.
These Are:

Location
Times
Content
Exhibitors
Social media, links, hashtags etc
Contact Details
Format
Signage, way-marking
Opening night Invites

The only restrictions for this brief are the cost of the exhibition and that the brief must be produceable using the colleges resources. It is important that we are able to split our job roles successfully so we can work well as a group and produce the best final possible.

We had a few initial ideas for this project when we gathered for the first time in the studio. These were noted in mind maps so we could quickly develop our exhibition.






















These initial ideas developed into more clear ideas when we met as a group for a second time. We were able to concentrate more on features for the exhibition so it would be more interesting when people visit.


One of the most talked about themes we had was based on 'reverse'. We had ideas stemming off this word within our mind map to show what could be included within the exhibition.

After our first crit where we would explain our idea to Simon, we decided focus more on the Reverse concept as felt it best fit with our brief. This was mainly due to the feedback we received that noted we had good preliminary ideas, however it would be important that we progressed and developed our project from here.

_____________________________________________________________________________

At this point in the design process we decided to split roles in the group. Although they weren't definite, we decided that 

Courtney would work on the way finding,

me and Kieran would focus on the branding 

Leah would work on the layout of the exhibition

beth would focus on the social media and promotion of the exhibition.

I asked to work on the branding and promoting aspect of the brief as felt this would give me more of a chance to push my own ideas forward within the brief. There would also be a number of things to work on throughout the brief meaning I can consistently influence what we produce as a group.
_____________________________________________________________________________

I started working on the branding of the exhibition with our first ideas in mind. I created a logo based on the idea that 'money' or trading has always been done physically but now is turning digital. I also tried to incorporate how some people believe there will be no physical banknotes in the future. This is shown with the gap in the horizontal 8. I developed my chosen design by experimenting with thickness and the placing of the gap. Other influences also included some of Kieran's initial branding work for our group.

I started to look at research to help me with my initial design process. This started with interesting design in posters and branding but progressed to exhibition branding.







I feel these designs above could help me further with my infinity poster ideas.


This design links well with our repeated idea which was originally thought up in our initial group meetings. To make sure my ideas were successful through the branding development, I constantly brought my work to my work for feedback. This gave me the confidence to continue with my ideas and designs.

I then looked at creating my own possible poster design. I did this by repeating my design, as seen below. This worked well and so I showed the rest of my group my ideas for feedback.





We decided not to pursue this idea despite it working well as the idea felt restricting for some of the other things we wanted to include within our exhibition. We still had preliminary notes on the ideas of 'reverse' and felt this idea had moved away from our initial concept. We still wanted to explore features within the exhibition such as including work from other creatives and having visitors create a print of their own at the exhibition. 
____________________________________________________________________________

At this point in our deign process, no one in our group had really started to commit to our idea and do any work towards our end result. Luckily, we were able to meet this week to discuss how we would progress within the project. We decided not to pursue this concept as didn't work as well with our ideas on Reverse.
____________________________________________________________________________

I decided to look at how other designers had created exhibition posters. I looked for eye catching and interesting designs in this initial part of my research. I hope to look at more focused exhibition promotion later in the brief as one of the roles I was given within this project was the branding.





____________________________________________________________________________

As we wanted to explore more ideas rather that stick with 'infinity', Courtney created a number of experimental sketches first on paper, then on illustrator. These worked well and gave the group a good starting point for this idea within the project.




































I tried to improve some of Courtney's ideas first in my sketchbook so I could quickly respond with my own interpretations. Although I kept some of her original ideas, I developed them as she had asked me to do.



There were two logo designs that I worked on the most. As I was unsure which would be best for the brief, I worked on both designs before bringing my ideas back to the group.

Once I had developed the two initial Reverse logos, I felt I should create a promotional poster to start branding our exhibition. I looked to my research for inspiration however, tried to make the designs unique through my own experimentation.

 I did this again by sketching ideas out first 






















I changed things such as the thickness of the REVERSE type so it stands out more and making the logos more fluid and organic so are more pleasing to look at.











Possible business cards or invites. Although the design is busy, it is also eye catching which is important for this exhibition to attract as many people as possible.

____________________________________________________________________________

As our first idea presentation was coming up, we prepared by creating a powerpoint of our work so far. The tutors noted that they liked how we planned to use other designers work to promote our exhibition however, it may be hard for us to rely on people for designs.  We have therefore decided that this coin design will be open to anyone.

They also felt the printing station could take too much from the exhibition and make too much mess within the space. We will now show the printing process through a video on a projector meaning the same process will be shown but without mess.
____________________________________________________________________________

Whilst researching I have found an exhibition that is successful in portraying itself with its branding. Using a repeating logo, the branding of this logo can be seen everywhere from editorial pieces to the navigation and way finding of the exhibition. Due to the continuing colour scheme, everything linked related to the exhibition is clear. I feel the consistency of this design is what makes it so favourable over other examples I have looked at.

This repeated logo is displayed across different media and is similar to how I hope to use our logo within branding aspects. The simple illuminous green, white and black colour scheme also works well as a link across the different media. This is something we should consider within our own brand identity as is eye catching and more likely for the public to notice. 







I researched further into different design aspects that must be considered for our exhibition. I first focused on the way finding and how visitors will make their way around the exhibition.





These designs would work well with the ideas of reflect as the type is placed on different walls. The audience's perspective plays a big part in these designs, as does it with our idea reflect. A similar idea may work well for my project.


The paint-like splashes/ brush strokes on the wall could relate to the traditional print aspects of our brief. Doing a similar thing within our project could work well to communicate the exhibition to our audience. Although this works well aesthetically, I must consider that we are unable to stick any vinyl to the walls.


Large, bold type like this is easy to read and is eye catching for anyone walking by. Using legible type like what is seen above is important for this project so the audience can read any necessary information about the exhibition.


____________________________________________________________________________

Our logo was improved after our second presentation feedback where our design was noted as looking too corporate.

Irfan and kieran first responded with some of their own new ideas. However we decided to use a similar design to our old logo.




I feel the adding of a circle works well for the design as makes it more playful and also links better to the tradition print ideas due to similarities with a stamp aesthetic. The single arrows also means the logo is less complex and so is easier to look at.




____________________________________________________________________________


I showed Courtney the research I did on way finding and exhibition layouts so that they could be considered within the final response. Unfortunately, we re unnable to stick anything onto te walls of the exhibition which rules out the first idea that used vinyl.

Courtney's final response used a number of moveable plinths around the exhibition. Not only are these easy to set up and use but they may also be a cheaper alternative to some of our other ideas.







Using the windows of Bank House was an idea we came up with early within our Reverse idea. This would promote our exhibition effectively to walkers by as well show our intended audience where to go to see our work.

these were some of courtneys other responses:





____________________________________________________________________________
In the end, we decided that we would not cut our invitation out of lino as this was such a long process. Instead, Courtney had time to screen print the designs. Although some of the prints she created were imperfect, I feel this adds to the feel of the invitation and the audience knows each one is unique.







I feel these final prints are successful and would work well if we were to send them to our original list of possible contacts.

We also updated our poster design with the new logo. 


Beth created a lino cut print of our logo. This again linked well to our original ideas with traditional print and shows how it could be printed onto invitations and across other media for promotion.

____________________________________________________________________________

Beth updated the social media for our exhibition. This worked across twitter, Instagram and Facebook and used or Reverse arrow as a primary way to promote our ideas.


Leah also worked on the layout of our exhibition. We included a number of ideas from the start of the project such as the use of a printing station and a continuous video of the printing processes used within the exhibition.

____________________________________________________________________________

As our project was coming to an end, it was important that we started to produce some physical outcomes to the brief. This was something Simon noted we should have done for second presentation within his feedback. 


I digitally printed my poster response first. The design I printed used my original layout from the start of the brief however there is a large gap in the middle of the page. This gives room for a Reverse stamp or screen print on the design. This was an idea that worked well as linked back to the money brief where we were required to use traditional print, however do to time restrictions at the end of the project, I was unable to screen print my design. 



This was down to the time consuming practical part of the design process which meant it would take at least two days to have a complete poster.
____________________________________________________________________________

Although I feel we worked well as team, there was some aspects of the project that could have been improved such as assigning jobs better. This would have enabled us to look at one particular part of the design process each which would mean we could be more focused within the brief. Despite this the way we did run the project meant we could bounce feedback off each other and bring all our ideas together.

Unfortunately, this meant we found it hard to balance our time as we would be focussing on a number of ideas at once. This resulted in a lack of physical mock ups for our final presentation and hand in. However, I feel the final outcomes we have produced have worked well as a concept and link back to our original ideas well.

____________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment