Friday 24 February 2017

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 01 - Leeds Events and critique

My previous research on event spaces in Leeds has given me an insight into past events that have taken place and shaped the city into what it is today. There are a number of events that have caught my eye as feel they could work well for this project these include:

le Tour de France (2014)
Each year the world's biggest bike race starts in a different country to promote its landscape. In 2014 the start of this was in Leeds and I was fortunate enough to ride in front of the peloton as it started in Leeds. Because of this I have good knowledge of the happenings of the day. This should help inform my ideas if I am to proceed with this idea for this project

Nelson Mandela opening Millennium Square (2000)
My event location research showed me that Mandela opened Millennium Square however addressed the people of Leeds as Liverpudlians. Since then, this square has held numerous events and has become an important central part of the city centre.

Unity Day (1995 onwards)
After riots in Hyde Park in 1995, locals decided to come together for one day a year on Woodhouse Moor to celebrate different cultures with music and other fun activities. This is an event that I have experienced myself and have some previous knowledge on as I talked to some locals around last years Unity Day.

Black Lives Matter march (2016)
This is another event that I was fortunate enough to attend and take some photos. The importance of this cause only became apparent to me after listening to the points made by speakers on the day. The dedication and passion of the others in attendance really inspired me to look further into the BLM movement once at home. This research will also help with the design decisions of this brief if I am to create a poster for this particular subject.

Anti Trump Rally (2017)
On Monday 30th January, Stand Up to Racism and Leeds Momentum organised a gathering in Dortmund Square in protest of Donald Trump's ban on muslims entering the United States as well as him entering the UK on a state visit. These are issues that are still of the upmost importance and a poster for this protest would support the ongoing cause. Because of how recent the event took place, finding research and people to give opinions on the subject will be easier than a number of other events.

M&S in Kirkgate Market
The first ever Marks and Spencer's opened in Leeds Kirkgate Market in 1984 as a penny shop. From there it expanded into the middle class mega store it is today. This original store is still up and running within the market today selling jams and sweets which could be useful for primary research. The traditional lettering on the stores signs show its age and could be included within my posters design.

Leeds Corn Exchange conversion (1980's)
As the name suggests, this event space originally sold corn. Despite this, its conversion in 1980 led it to be used as a retail hub for independent businesses and a space for music, dance and other activities

Leeds West Indian Carnival (1967)
Also called Leeds Carnival or the Chapel Town Carnival it is the longest running West Indian carnival in Europe. It is held in the Chapeltown and Harehills areas of Leeds and has an average attendance of around 150,000 each year. It is a 3 day event with the carnival procession on Bank Holiday Monday. A carnival queen and king is chosen each year based on their costume and then takes part in Notting Hill carnival later in the year.


I brought these found nine events to a peer crit so I could select the three most appropriate ideas for development. After explaining my ideas to the students in my critique, it was decided that the events that I attended myself would work best for both research and idea production. These events included the 2014 Le Tour de France, Unity Day on Woodhouse Moor and the Black Lives Matter March in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment