Thursday 12 January 2017

OUGD503 - Gilly cuts initial research

To help inspire the start of this brief I looked into the identity of hairdressers I could find online. I studied closely which designs worked well and which didn't and added noted for my own use further in the project.

I found André Torres' resolution to the Carmo Maia Hairdressers on Behance. The strong use of colour links each piece of work together well. Good use of negative space adds a modern touch to the project whilst the added use of illustrations within posters is unique and eye catching.




The colour scheme stays through different media. The light blue line through the invoice and letter shows this however also portrays the company as being more formal.

Monthly's branding and identity shows how the target audience can influence the final design. The clear focus on males can be seen with a simple black and white colour scheme and minimal design. Although my client wants his service to be available for both men and women, ideas can be taken from this to influence my design.




As I have been asked to produce a publication for this brief, the above work for Monthly has shown how this can be done. Clever use of layout using large imagery and white space alongside text has given me ideas for use within my own work.


Using image with strong text worked well above on the website. This gave me ideas for use if I do decide to create a website for this brief.


Simple calendar on the reverse of the card is so easy to use because of its minimal layout.

One of the first things I noticed was that more modern hairdressing and barber identities used a minimal theme throughout. I felt this worked well to suggest formality and quality of service.

I also decided to look at other mobile hairdressing services to see how designers had worked on the brief however found the design to be poor. I noted this to my client over text noting that with some successful and professional looking design, the business is more likely to attract a range of clients.






No comments:

Post a Comment