Saturday 5 May 2018

OUGD603 - Research Brief - Further Research

The previous research I did on zine culture has helped give a better understanding of the origin of zines and how important subcultures were to their success.

I identified which subcultures revolutionised zines and took advantage of the medium within their own market, finding that sci-fi, punk and grrrl zines stood out most. After researching these subcultures, I decided that I would focus on one of these three and produce an outcome based on the research I do.

From the research done so far, I believe punk is the most interesting with options to focus on different areas of the sub culture such as the music, fashion and political views. I will look further into punk and their relationship with zines helping me start to think about what I will produce for this project.

In 1975 the first punk fanzine was published by Legs McNeil and friends in New York, it was named after the Punk genre. 'Punk' covered the happenings in the New York music and arts scene. In 1976, the most iconic punk zine was first published by Mark Perry within the UK. This was named Sniffin' Glue which derived from a Ramones song, "Now I wanna sniff some glue". I found a copy of the zine on ebay that included all the pages within the zine. This helped me to see how the contents looked as there weren't man examples online. I found that text varied between handwritten and typewriter. Images were collaged with text often placed on top.








I watched a BBC documentary about the punk fan zine: Guttersnipe which interviewed the creators and writers. From this I learnt,

- The zine was investigated by police as included swear words and caused graffiti to be written on walls, quoting the magazine
- contained anti-nazi/ racist propaganda
- promotes local punk groups
- focus on what the youth in the area were bothered about (eg abortion)
- "written in 'street language' with no big words or complicated sentences and is mainly about music and politics".
- used swear words as that was what teenagers used
- some references to violence




No comments:

Post a Comment