Tuesday 8 November 2016

OUGD504 - Examples of different paper finishes

After already looking at paper finishes that reflect the bespoke look I want, I must now look at how the design on the cover can also show this. I feel the cover would work well showing either another photo from Barcelona or an entirely typographical based design. 

I looked at some other editorials on Village Book Store's website and focused on the covers. I noticed most examples used photography to give an insight into the content. A number of these books were hard back and included an de-bossed area where photos are stuck in. I feel this would work especially well for my own publication to keep its bespoke feel.






Foiling is a paper finish I have previously looked in and can be seen on the book above. The reflective look works well to portray sophistication and would help with the bespoke aesthetic I wish to see in my own book.

I looked at a number of photo books that are kept in the library so I cold physically see them.








This particular book showed my the de-bossed photo technique. After seeing this through numerous pieces of research, I feel it should be considered for my publication because of its clean and bespoke look.












Soft back publications such as the example above work better for full sized images on the cover as the edge of the publication can look neat and clean. This is because the image goes right up to the edge of the paper.

After discussions with my peers about what design would work best, I have decided to progress with the idea of using a hardback cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment