Tuesday 8 November 2016

OUGD504 - typeface experimentation

This publication's chosen typefaces should reflect Barcelona as a diverse city. I looked at my previous research on Spanish typography for guidance on what would work well for my book. I then moved to experimentation where I first looked at serif typefaces as I felt they would best portray Barcelona for any header text.



My first thought when looking at these typefaces was to choose a more decorative serif as this would link well to the Art nouveau movement. After looking at my Spanish typography research and asking for feedback from tutors and peers, I found Narziss Pro Cy (2nd typeface down) to be most appropriate.

I struggled to find a suitable typeface for body copy that would work well for both Barcelona and the rest of my publication. I spoke to Simon Jones for feedback and to try and help resolve this issue who noted that this typeface should be simple as to not distract from the photos or header text. He suggested using a swiss typeface as they are often clean and easy to read. After experimenting with the likes of Helvetica and Akzidenz-Grotesk I decided on using Univers.

No comments:

Post a Comment