Monday 21 November 2016

OUGD503 - Penguin - first ideas

I took some preliminary ideas from research on the crime scene and the film however others were inspired more ambiguous book covers I found.

Idea 1: Killers car
An illustration or photograph of the car used by Hickcock and Smith to drive to the Clutters household and further on to Mexico.



-ambiguous response
-could suggest the escape to Mexico within the imagery
-blood stained tyre tracks could show how they fled the crime scene.

Idea 2: Shoe print
Being one of the only pieces of evidence left at the crime scene, this idea works well as a less obvious response because of its unusual markings.



-Illustrate or edit original photo to work best for my cover.
-could include the obvious blood red or move away from this.

Idea 3: Toy found in victims bedroom
This would be an ambiguous response as doesn't have a clear visual link to the book however it may be a way to shock the audience without using graphic imagery.



-teddy bear originally seen in one of the victim's bedrooms
-ripped up toy (signify victims being shot)
-maybe use 4 different bears?

Idea 4: Clutter family home
This home became iconic at the time after being seen on nationwide newspapers.



-maybe considered as an obvious design
-would work well as an illustration however some styles would be more appropriate than others.


Idea 5: Typographic response
I would use a typeface reflective of the time the book was based and position text to support the shocking ideas within the content.

Even if I don't continue with this type idea, I can use the experiments I make as inspiration for the type I must include on the design.


I will bring these ideas to a critique for further development and help me choose the most appropriate response to the brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment