Tuesday 8 November 2016

OUGD504 - Test print 01

After printing my book and binding it together using a saddle stitch, I found a few things wrong with my design outcome. As my dimensions are only a little bigger than A5, it is still quite a small publication. This was something I didn't anticipate when creating my layout. I found the smaller landscape photos were quite hard to see. I placed them like this to work with my minimal themes however I will look to enlarge them to improve readability of the book.









Another issue I have noticed is how thin the book is as I have only 24 pages. When looking at other photo books in the library, I noticed examples often had weight to them because of the heavy stock and having a page count of around 30-40+. Because of this, I will look to reposition existing photos and add more where appropriate. However, this can be particularly problematic using a saddle stitch bind. This bind, although strong, can lift the top half of the content up when signatures are overly full causing pages to overlap and others to not fold flat when the book is closed.

One way to overcome this would be to separate the book into a number of smaller signatures and bring them together using a more complicated coptic stitch. This was something I looked at in previous research.



Alternatively I could bind my book using a perfect bind. This is something that worked well in experimentation and would portray a clean, bespoke photo book.

Alternatively, I could bind my book using a perfect bind. This is something that worked well in experimentation and would be appropriate to convey a bespoke book because of it having a clean finish. This binding method is also easier to produce industrially, making it important to create on a more industrial scale. Because of this, I will use this for my final publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment