Monday 7 November 2016

OUGD504 - Printing methods

I must consider how I will print my publication. This is another design decision that would differ with the production within uni compared to if I was to get it printed professionally. One way I could print my book would be using screen print. Although this would take time, the outcome is often unique from any other printing method. This, however would not be appropriate for my content as photos would have to be set as halftones and 

There are also some printing techniques which will not be available to me at uni but could be used if I was working within the professional industry. Such techniques include the use of offset lithography. Within this process, the desired print is set on metal plates and transferred onto rollers before then being transferred on to the chosen stock. This is a method of mass printing as the machines are often large and expensive. Although this process is quick and cheap when producing a large quantity of books, it would only be appropriate if my book was going to be printed for a mass market.


Fortunately, there are a number of other printing options that were available to me for this brief. This included ink-jet printing, a form of printing where the digital image is created by propelling ink onto the paper. The price of these printers can range depending on the quality of the machine however are often cheaper than other forms of printer. These machines also tend to blend block colours better than laser printers therefore making them more suitable for photos and image heavy documents.


Another option for me was to use a laser printer which applies image to paper by 

No comments:

Post a Comment